Alcohol allergy and alcohol intolerance: Symptoms to look out for

If you’re allergic to alcohol, you may experience hives, itching, swelling, difficulty breathing, and wheezing. If you experience these symptoms after drinking alcohol, you must see a doctor as you may need to be treated for an allergy. It is not known for certain why some people experience sinus congestion after drinking red wine, but it is believed to be due to a combination of factors. Some people may be more sensitive to the histamines in red wine than others, which can lead to inflammation in the nose and sinus cavities. Additionally, dehydration caused by alcohol consumption can also contribute to sinus congestion.

  • If you have any questions or concerns regarding your breathing difficulties, please contact a medical professional for advice.
  • But even with our guide on how to get rid of a hangover, you may want to dig deeper beyond the simple remedies and solutions to determine whether there is a real cause for concern here.
  • If you experience any of these reactions after drinking red wine, it could be a sign that you are intolerant or allergic to alcohol.
  • Additionally, alcohol can worsen existing allergic reactions as it suppresses the body’s ability to fight off foreign substances.
  • To avoid this situation, it is important to drink wines with a flavor that does not cause an allergic reaction in the body.
  • This is known as the snatiation reflex, which is a combination of the words ‘sneeze’ and ‘satiation.

First, some people have lower levels of the enzymes the body needs to break alcohol (ethanol) into metabolites that it can process and excrete. When byproducts of alcohol don’t get broken down quickly enough, they accumulate to levels high enough to cause a mild allergic reaction. If you have any of the above-mentioned symptoms after consuming alcohol, it is best to stop drinking and seek medical help if necessary. For those with Red Wine Allergies, the symptoms can be quite unpleasant and may last for several hours.

Is there a link between having alcohol allergies and eczema?

With long-term heavy alcohol intake, your brain adapts to the effects of booze over time. Even those who only deal with nasal congestion from alcohol can benefit from Sunset’s ingredients. Have you ever gotten a stuffy nose after a glass of red wine? White wine tends to contain higher levels of sulfites than red wine and beer. A person experiencing a severe allergic reaction should go to the emergency room immediately.

sneezing when drinking beer

But not many people realize that there are many ingredients, additives, and preservatives within alcoholic beverages that can cause negative side effects. In some people, these reactions look like allergy symptoms even though they don’t have a true allergy to alcohol. Alcohol intolerance is most often due to genetic conditions and sensitivity to histamine and sulfites in alcoholic beverages. They can help you determine if it is indeed the cause of your unpleasant reactions and recommend an appropriate treatment plan. To reduce the risk of having a reaction, look for labels on alcoholic beverages that indicate lower levels of sulfites or those labeled as “sulfite-free”. In general, red wines typically have higher sulfite concentrations than white wines.

White Wine Makes Me Sneeze

Treatment for alcoholic hepatitis usually involves lifestyle changes such as abstaining from alcohol, eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly. Wine allergy symptoms can range What if being sober sucks? 4 Tips To Boost Your Sobriety from mild to severe, and in extreme cases may even lead to anaphylaxis. If you think you might be allergic to wine, it is important that you seek medical attention right away.

Histamine, which is produced during the breakdown of alcohol, is one of the main compounds responsible for these allergic reactions. People who are sensitive to histamine may experience more severe symptoms than those who are not. It is important to be aware of any potential allergy symptoms that can occur when consuming alcoholic beverages and speak to a doctor if any reactions occur. Dr. Adkinson recommends that people who are prone to alcohol-related allergic reactions should avoid consuming these fruits as well as alcoholic beverages containing sulfites. He adds that the chances of having an adverse reaction to those foods or drinks is one out of every hundred.

Reduction in Alertness

And it turns out that the core ingredients in a Hot Toddy — whiskey, hot water, honey, and lemon — do pretty much the same thing. A great decongestant, the alcohol in whiskey dilates the blood vessels, making it easier for your mucus membranes to deal with the infection. Drinking alcohol to excess can lead to a host of hangover symptoms, including throwing up. Vomiting is your body’s response to excess toxins from alcohol in your body. While vomiting may make you feel awful, the risks from excess toxins can be damaging to your system.

sneezing when drinking beer

Drinking plenty of fluids will help to thin out the mucus in your nose and make it less likely to trigger a sneeze. Rinsing your nose with salt water or a saline solution will help to soothe the mucous membranes in your nose and reduce inflammation. Those of you who are not aware must be wondering what exactly is ibuprofen. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug or NSAIDs to soothe the pain and swelling and sometimes even help when taken during fever. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, which is why people feel sleepy after they’ve had a drink or two, and why drinking a “nightcap” before you go to bed can sound appealing.


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent faucibus, est vitae blandit dignissim, eros felis porttitor risus, egestas porttitor neque turpis nec ante. Morbi at leo est.